Skip to main content

Psalm 50:1

     A psalm of Asaph.
The Mighty One, God, the LORD,
     speaks and summons the earth
     from the rising of the sun to the place where it sets.

(NIV)


I do love the Psalms, and if I continue to do this blog, I hope to one day have posted through the entire book of Psalms. For now, though, I will stick with my favorites.

Psalm 50 is one of my favorites, mostly because of the end of the Psalm, but the end doesn't mean so much unless it is built up to in the beginning. And that is exactly what the author is doing. I think that there is a contrast that is being shown in this Psalm, a contrast between us and Him. He is not us, and we are not Him, and even though we were created in His image, there is still a sharp contrast because of what happened in the garden. We are marred images now.

Notice the three title given here: The Mighty One. God. The Lord. If you click on these words, it will take you to the strong's definition thanks to Studylight.org.

The first title, Mighty One is the Hebrew word, EL, which some of you know as God. And fortunately for us, the translators did a good job because it means mighty one. The next word is Elohim, which is the plural version of El. There is a whole lot of trinitarian theology that I could get into here, but I won't. The last is the defining name of who this mighty God is, it is the name Jehovah.

Now, I could ponder on this for a while, but I did want to focus on the next part. Notice that with his voice, the whole earth is summoned. Now we know that one day every knee will bow to this Lord, but my question is this, do you bow now?

The call that He is giving now is not a summoning call, but a beckoning call. He is not kicking the door down, he is standing at the door and knocking. Oh, as you will see in this Psalm, He will kick the door down, but not yet.

Answer his call.

(Oh, and by the way, answering the call doesn't stop once you are born again. It begins when you are born again, and continues on for eternity, that is what it means to have a LORD.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonah 2:10

And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (NIV) Don't you just love fresh starts. They're not always fresh, but they are a start. The God that we serve is a God of fresh starts. My mind goes to the many times that Christ reached out his hand, pulling a lame man to his feet, and saying, "...now go and sin no more." Or the woman caught in adultery, "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Only a God of grace will allow a swallowed man to repent. Praise Him.

Galatians 5:25

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Wow, this is a really cool verse. Once again, there is a phrase in here that I have never noticed before. The part that says, "...let us keep in step..." It makes me think of a dance. The spirit leads, and I stay in step. When that happens, it is beautiful.

James 1:4

Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (NIV) This goes right along with what I was saying in the commentary on the previous verse. Perseverance is one the most key essentials to true Christianity. In this verse you can see that perseverance leads to Christian Maturity, but it is only a whole or complete perseverance that will do this.