Skip to main content

James 1:5

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
(NIV)
Much of the book of James does not require much explanation. He writes in such a straight-forward style. I like to read through a verse, then try to re-word it in a way that it is easier to understand, but with this verse, the meaning is plain.

This plain meaning leaves a person facing the real issues, which is what James wants anyway. The real issues have nothing to do with what kind of Biblical scholar you are, or what a wonderful theologian you have become. The real issue has to do with what you are going to do about what you just read. We all lack wisdom, so when you encounter a verse like this, you should be moved to do something.

Ask for wisdom today. You need wisdom, and God gives wisdom generously. He also gives this wisdom to whoever asks, there is nothing you have done that will prohibit the asking of wisdom. If you turn away from whatever sins are in your life, and turn to Jesus, you will be granted great wisdom.

Comments

  1. WHEN I PRAY FOR WISDOM I ALSO PRAY FOR UNDERSTANDING, BECAUSE THE MORE I BELIEVE THE MORE POWERFUL MY WORDS WILL BE WHEN I SPEAK INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S LIFE, CONSIDERING YOU CAN'T GIVE OUT WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE.
    I REALLY ENJOY READING YOUR COMMENTS, YOUR WORDS MAKE ME THINK ABOUT DIFFERENT PASSAGES OF SCRIPTURE IN A NEW WAY, THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are enjoying this blog. I don't do this blog for others (I gave up on that quite a while ago) but I do enjoy it when others get something out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please add some additional commentary to this verse. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Jonah 2:10

And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (NIV) Don't you just love fresh starts. They're not always fresh, but they are a start. The God that we serve is a God of fresh starts. My mind goes to the many times that Christ reached out his hand, pulling a lame man to his feet, and saying, "...now go and sin no more." Or the woman caught in adultery, "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Only a God of grace will allow a swallowed man to repent. Praise Him.

Galatians 5:25

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Wow, this is a really cool verse. Once again, there is a phrase in here that I have never noticed before. The part that says, "...let us keep in step..." It makes me think of a dance. The spirit leads, and I stay in step. When that happens, it is beautiful.

James 1:4

Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (NIV) This goes right along with what I was saying in the commentary on the previous verse. Perseverance is one the most key essentials to true Christianity. In this verse you can see that perseverance leads to Christian Maturity, but it is only a whole or complete perseverance that will do this.