Skip to main content

Psalm 51:11

Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.

(NIV)


This verse used to confuse me. Why would David be asking God these questions?

In II Corinthians 1:21-22 it tells us --
Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.


The Holy Spirit is our seal. It is a mark of God's ownership on us, and it is the guarantee that there is more to come for us. We cannot remove the seal of God.

And we can see a similar concept in Ephesians 4:30 --
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.


In this passage, it can even be seen that this seal is not removed even when we are grieving the Spirit.

The best way to understand Psalm 51:11 is to first realize that David had not received the full revelation of the Word of God. There were many mysteries that had not been revealed yet. They did not fully comprehend the truth of who the Christ would be. So David was speaking on what he understood.

But regardless of whether or not David understood these concepts, there are many examples in the Bible of people asking God for things that He had already promised.

When I am at the grocery store, when I am returning my cart to the cart return in the parking lot, sometimes I keep my son with me. And it never fails, right before I start to pick him up, he will say, "Daddy! Don't leave me!" He always does this with a smile on his face, because we both know that I would never leave him in the cart.

This is the same thing that I believe David is doing. He says, "Don't cast me from your presence, Don't take your Spirit from me!" Both God and David know that these things would never happen, but David cries out anyway.

It shows his dependence on God, and his desire for God to be there.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please add some additional commentary to this verse. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Jonah 2:10

And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (NIV) Don't you just love fresh starts. They're not always fresh, but they are a start. The God that we serve is a God of fresh starts. My mind goes to the many times that Christ reached out his hand, pulling a lame man to his feet, and saying, "...now go and sin no more." Or the woman caught in adultery, "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Only a God of grace will allow a swallowed man to repent. Praise Him.

Galatians 5:25

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Wow, this is a really cool verse. Once again, there is a phrase in here that I have never noticed before. The part that says, "...let us keep in step..." It makes me think of a dance. The spirit leads, and I stay in step. When that happens, it is beautiful.

James 1:4

Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (NIV) This goes right along with what I was saying in the commentary on the previous verse. Perseverance is one the most key essentials to true Christianity. In this verse you can see that perseverance leads to Christian Maturity, but it is only a whole or complete perseverance that will do this.