Skip to main content

Genesis 1:1

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
(ESV)


There is much debate about a statement that is so simple. Not only do you have the evolutionists debating whether or not there is a creator, you even have in the Christian circles the debate about when this beginning happened and how much God actually created.

When you read John 3:16, do you believe that "God so loved that world" and that He "gave his only begotten son"? Do you call into question the phrase "that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life"? Do you doubt the validity of those words?

I do not. I believe that God's word from beginning to end is the inspired word of God. I believe that it is infallible.

If you do not believe that, I would like to recommend a little book called God Wrote a Book by James MacDonald. It is easy to read and easy to understand. He takes a step by step approach to looking at the Bible to see whether or not it is what people say it is. It also includes a load of extra-biblical evidences that I found to be quite encouraging.

As I look at Genesis 1, I am going to take the approach that it is truly God's word, and that it can be taken literally. I do not believe that this Genesis account is figurative of what went on. I believe that God wanted us to know what happened, so He made sure it ended up in this book for all to read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonah 2:10

And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (NIV) Don't you just love fresh starts. They're not always fresh, but they are a start. The God that we serve is a God of fresh starts. My mind goes to the many times that Christ reached out his hand, pulling a lame man to his feet, and saying, "...now go and sin no more." Or the woman caught in adultery, "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Only a God of grace will allow a swallowed man to repent. Praise Him.

Galatians 5:25

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Wow, this is a really cool verse. Once again, there is a phrase in here that I have never noticed before. The part that says, "...let us keep in step..." It makes me think of a dance. The spirit leads, and I stay in step. When that happens, it is beautiful.

James 1:4

Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (NIV) This goes right along with what I was saying in the commentary on the previous verse. Perseverance is one the most key essentials to true Christianity. In this verse you can see that perseverance leads to Christian Maturity, but it is only a whole or complete perseverance that will do this.