Skip to main content

James 3:14

But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.
(NIV)

The "bitter envy" could also be "bitter jealousy", not sure if that helps. Studylight.org adds this to the definition of "selfish ambition": "This word is found before NT times only in Aristotle where it denotes a self-seeking pursuit of political office by unfair means." I thought that was interesting, and helps to understand the idea behind the "selfish ambition."

The Adam Clarke Commentary offers this help:
If ye be under the influence of an unkind, fierce, and contemptuous spirit, even while attempting or pretending to defend true religion, do not boast either of your exertions or success in silencing an adversary; ye have no religion, and no true wisdom, and to profess either is to lie against the truth. Let all writers on what is called polemic (fighting, warring) divinity lay this to heart. The pious Mr. Herbert gives excellent advice on this subject:-

"Be calm in arguing, for fierceness makes Error a fault, and truth discourtesy; Why should I feel another man's mistakes More than his sickness or his poverty? In love I should; but anger is not love, Nor wisdom neither; therefore g-e-n-t-l-y m-o-v-e."
~studylight.org


That bit of commentary really cleared things up for me. I will admit it, maybe it is because I am tired or because it is the end of the school year, but I was having some trouble coming up with some thoughts on this verse. Now, I am actually finding it to be beneficial in my circumstances. Praise the Lord for smarter people who have done a good work that we can draw from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonah 2:10

And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (NIV) Don't you just love fresh starts. They're not always fresh, but they are a start. The God that we serve is a God of fresh starts. My mind goes to the many times that Christ reached out his hand, pulling a lame man to his feet, and saying, "...now go and sin no more." Or the woman caught in adultery, "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Only a God of grace will allow a swallowed man to repent. Praise Him.

Galatians 5:25

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Wow, this is a really cool verse. Once again, there is a phrase in here that I have never noticed before. The part that says, "...let us keep in step..." It makes me think of a dance. The spirit leads, and I stay in step. When that happens, it is beautiful.

James 1:4

Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (NIV) This goes right along with what I was saying in the commentary on the previous verse. Perseverance is one the most key essentials to true Christianity. In this verse you can see that perseverance leads to Christian Maturity, but it is only a whole or complete perseverance that will do this.