Skip to main content

Philippians 2:17

Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. (Philippians 2:17, ESV)
I am going to borrow from the words of D.A. Carson, in his book Basics for Believers (a commentary on Philippians) to speak to the symbolism of the drink offering:
"In this metaphor, the actions of the Philippians constitute the primary 'sacrifice.' They give themselves to Christ and commit themselves to pleasing him, whatever the cost. Then, if Paul has to give up his life, his sacrifice is merely a kind of libation poured out on top of their sacrifice. Such a libation is meaningless unless it is poured out on a more substantial sacrifice. But their Christian living is that sacrifice; Paul's martyrdom -- should it occur -- or the pains, sufferings, and persecutions he faces as an apostle are the complementary drink offering poured over theirs."
As a Pastor, I am aware of this. There is much sacrifice in ministry, though I have not come near the sacrifices that Paul made. Yet I get that idea... when the people of my church work hard in their Christian life, I do feel as if any sacrifice that I have made is just a drink offering, poured on top of theirs. My sacrifices, of time and stress and study, draw their significance from the sacrifice of the people that I am ministering to.

Let your life, also, be a living sacrifice, not only for the sake of Christ, but to also give meaning and depth to the sacrifices of your pastor and those others who have taught you and ministered to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonah 2:10

And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (NIV) Don't you just love fresh starts. They're not always fresh, but they are a start. The God that we serve is a God of fresh starts. My mind goes to the many times that Christ reached out his hand, pulling a lame man to his feet, and saying, "...now go and sin no more." Or the woman caught in adultery, "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Only a God of grace will allow a swallowed man to repent. Praise Him.

Galatians 5:25

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Wow, this is a really cool verse. Once again, there is a phrase in here that I have never noticed before. The part that says, "...let us keep in step..." It makes me think of a dance. The spirit leads, and I stay in step. When that happens, it is beautiful.

James 3:18

Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. (NIV) Does this verse fit with the rest? It almost seems like a little addendum to the main point. If we look at it alone, it makes total sense... a peacemaker, who would sow in peace, because he is a peacemaker, will reap a harvest of righteousness. Very similar to Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount . If we look at it in the context, it still makes sense, but in the bigger picture of heavenly wisdom. Peace-making is a sign of true wisdom that is from above.