Skip to main content

Psalm 50:18

When you see a thief, you join with him;
you throw in your lot with adulterers.
(NIV)
Here is one of the true tests of your stance: are you standing with the righteous or with the wicked. There are only two places to stand. You must be with one or the other. There is no fence to straddle.

Lest you think that I am being judgmental, I would like to share on a more personal note.

When I was a teenager, I would have thought that I was a pretty good kid. I would have thought that I was standing amongst the righteous. There were signs though, of my true intents because the heart will reveal itself sooner or later.

In high school I would have thrown my lot in with the thieves. When the other kids were cheating, sure enough, I was too. There were other things as well, but I wasn't all that bad. The key that I am getting across is that the only thing that was limiting me was availability. You see, anytime a sin came available, I threw in my lot with it. I was trying to judge my spiritual state by what I was doing, but the only reason I wasn't that bad is because I hadn't had opportunity.

When I got older and the temptations got bigger and I threw my lot in... Then I knew what a great sinner I was. My heart had been revealed for what it really was. It had been revealing itself all along, I was just not wise enough to see it.

When opportunity arises, where do you throw your lot?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonah 2:10

And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (NIV) Don't you just love fresh starts. They're not always fresh, but they are a start. The God that we serve is a God of fresh starts. My mind goes to the many times that Christ reached out his hand, pulling a lame man to his feet, and saying, "...now go and sin no more." Or the woman caught in adultery, "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Only a God of grace will allow a swallowed man to repent. Praise Him.

Galatians 5:25

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Wow, this is a really cool verse. Once again, there is a phrase in here that I have never noticed before. The part that says, "...let us keep in step..." It makes me think of a dance. The spirit leads, and I stay in step. When that happens, it is beautiful.

James 3:18

Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. (NIV) Does this verse fit with the rest? It almost seems like a little addendum to the main point. If we look at it alone, it makes total sense... a peacemaker, who would sow in peace, because he is a peacemaker, will reap a harvest of righteousness. Very similar to Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount . If we look at it in the context, it still makes sense, but in the bigger picture of heavenly wisdom. Peace-making is a sign of true wisdom that is from above.