Skip to main content

Psalm 50:22

Consider this, you who forget God,
or I will tear you to pieces, with none to rescue:
(NIV)
There are two things that I would like to say about this verse.

The first is this, I feel lately like I am surrounded by people who forget God. I am not talking about the typical thing that you might read on a blog about the media and modern day America... No, I am talking about in my own back door. People who I once thought would never be forgetful of God, now they are throwing their lot in and going down the wrong path. It is both frustrating and depressing. We expect the world to forget God, but when those who are close do this, it just seems so much different.

The second thing that I would like to say is that I also seem to forget God. I don't like to admit this, but it is true. Now, you might be thinking to yourself, why was he just stating how frustrated he is about others doing this, when he himself does the same thing? Good Question.

I believe that we all have times in our lives when we forget God. The most righteous of us will still fall (Prov.24:16), but with the righteous our fallings are always accompanied by a rising. We are His workmanship.

The real point that I want to make here is this: So many of us who are striving toward God often jump to our failures. Every time that we read scripture we jump to that, and that is not an altogether bad thing to do. It is important to point scripture to our own hearts. But I believe that it essential that we do not skip the first point that I made. There are people who for get God and do not seem to even care. They justify their behaviors and expect us to do the same thing. Once again, I am not talking about the nameless crowds of people, I am talking about those who are close to us, who we have helped, who we have encouraged; then they turn and forget God.

We must not forget our own hearts and our own sinfulness, but lets not forget that there are verses like these. They are not directed at the person who is the struggling Christian, they are directed at the person who has made their life about forgetting God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jonah 2:10

And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. (NIV) Don't you just love fresh starts. They're not always fresh, but they are a start. The God that we serve is a God of fresh starts. My mind goes to the many times that Christ reached out his hand, pulling a lame man to his feet, and saying, "...now go and sin no more." Or the woman caught in adultery, "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Only a God of grace will allow a swallowed man to repent. Praise Him.

Galatians 5:25

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Wow, this is a really cool verse. Once again, there is a phrase in here that I have never noticed before. The part that says, "...let us keep in step..." It makes me think of a dance. The spirit leads, and I stay in step. When that happens, it is beautiful.

James 1:4

Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (NIV) This goes right along with what I was saying in the commentary on the previous verse. Perseverance is one the most key essentials to true Christianity. In this verse you can see that perseverance leads to Christian Maturity, but it is only a whole or complete perseverance that will do this.